How To Get Bankruptcy Discharge Papers?

Unless you have been advised otherwise, your discharge from bankruptcy will happen automatically, so you won’t necessarily get proof sent to you.

Certificate Of Bankruptcy Discharge

Where a bankrupt is entitled to an automatic discharge under the terms of his/her bankruptcy, no formal certificate of discharge will be issued automatically by the court. If written evidence is required, the former bankrupt must apply to the court which dealt with the bankruptcy. A fee is payable to the court for the provision of a certificate of discharge and any additional copies.

Insolvency Register

Details of your discharge will also be on the Insolvency Register for 3 months after discharge. You can print this entry off as proof you’ve been discharged from bankruptcy.

Additionally, a record of your bankruptcy is also made in the Land Charges Registry and it lasts for five years. However, once discharged you can apply to the courts to have the record altered from “bankrupt” to “discharged from bankruptcy”.

Advising the Credit Reference agencies.

Once discharged, the Official Receiver does not automatically inform your credit reference agencies of the end of your bankruptcy – it is down to you to pass on this information – ie. Send on a copy of your Certificate of Discharge, or letter from the Official Receiver, to each of your agencies. Once this is done a record of your discharge will appear on your credit reference file.

Despite discharge, an entry of your bankruptcy will remain on your file for a period of six years from the date of the original bankruptcy order (and may affect your ability to get credit, even after the order has ended). After that time the record shall be automatically removed.

Money Helper (formerly The Money Advice Service) is a free service set up by the Government to help people make the most of their money. If you would like to learn more click here. is not regulated and is for fact-finding only. We can help assess your circumstances and point you to someone who can provide available options that suit your debt criteria.

If an individual meets the required criteria for an IVA based on our packaged case, this will be passed to one of our partnering Insolvency Practitioners to get direct advice. If the individual does not meet the criteria for an IVA, The Insolvency practitioner is able to provide contact information for other third-party organisations that offer advice on other available debt solutions. For full details view our Privacy Policy.

If you decide that an IVA (Individual Voluntary Agreement) is not the best option for you after we have prepared the necessary information, you can opt out of the process and have all of your details removed. We receive a fee from the third party that we refer you to for introducing you and for the work we have completed. However, you will not be responsible for paying this fee. The third party will contact you directly to continue the process of your IVA application or to explore other solutions, but only with your permission after we have introduced you.